Thai and Korean Night! Thai Chicken Nuggets and Bibim Nengmyun!

So we had people over for dinner a couple of nights ago and I decided to go for a cultural themed night. I made Grilled Thai Chicken Nuggets with a Hot and Sour Dipping Sauce and Bibim Nengmyun (noodles tossed with a hot pepper sauce). I probably should have read the description of the recipes before I made them because although they were really nice, they were sooo spicy! The Thai chicken nuggets were fine but the bibim nengmyun was so spicy, almost unbearably so. Cosmo and Martin were fine with it but Ashleigh and I were dying. I had to add honey to the sauce to try and calm it down so what we had was the less hot version of the recipe! This meal is definitely not for the faint hearted!


Even though they weren't actually that hard to make, I was pretty impressed with myself. Probably because it was something different and I'd never made them before. Plus I had the whole half cut boiled egg on top of the noodles so it looked very legit. 
We didn't have any rice wine vinegar in the flat and I couldn't be bothered to go out and spend money on some just for one meal so I used apple juice as a substitute because it has a high acidity level. 

Anyone who wants to make the noodle dish but isn't a fan of heat, seriously limit the amount of gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste) that you add to the sauce. We also didn't have any of that in the flat so I used this hot sauce that the previous tenants had left behind in our flat and it was ridiculously hot so I have no idea if using the hot pepper paste that you're supposed to use would make the dish more or less spicy but I cannot imagine it being any hotter than it already was. Well actually I can because I tasted the sauce before I added the honey and my mouth was on fire. 


Bibim Nengmyun (Buckwheat Noodles Tossed with a Hot Pepper Sauce): http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2011/10/bibim-nengmyun/

Those are the recipes there if anyone wants to try them. Good luck with the level of heat! Or maybe it wasn't that bad and Ashleigh and I are just massive babies. Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts