Carrying on from my great experience with the salmon curry I made from the cookbook, Recipes From An Indian Kitchen, I decided to make their butter chicken recipe. It was really yummy. And it lasted for days as well because it serves 4-6 people and it was just me eating it... well, Ashleigh had one bowl but it was mainly me. It's also surprisingly fast to make...
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp garli
2 tsp ginger
400g canned chopped tomatoes
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli powder
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
125ml cold water
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 cooked tandori chicken, cut into 8 pieces [I just used normal chicken breasts which worked just as well but I can imagine using tandori chicken will make it taste so much better - even though it tastes amazing using normal chicken]
4 tbsp double cream
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, chilli powder, sugar and salt into a good processor or blender and process until blended
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan/pot/wok over a medium-high heat then add the blended mixture, the water and the tomato puree, stirring
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to very low and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens
4. Stir in half the butter, the garam masala, cumin, ground coriander and the chicken pieces and stir around until they are well coated. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is warmed through [if you are using normal chicken breasts, fry them first until they are browned]
5. Stir in the cream and the rest of the butter until it melts - and its done!
See? So quick to make! The only hard thing is waiting for the sauce to simmer a few times.
It's such a great meal - so yummy.
Let me know if you try it and what you think of it!